Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Grandpa's 27th anniversary

How time flies... my grandpa passed away 27 years ago today. He passed on from a blood clot in his brain. He had sustained it from a fall about a month ago back then.

Gosh… 27 years now. Many of his friends and relatives might have joined him now. I think for my papi, it must be a regret on how he never got to know grandpa well.

He would have been 77 this coming February. I guess my papi had never really accepted that he was gone at an age of 48. You see, grandpa was stout, healthy and strong. He rarely smokes or touches alcohol. He had good sight, working as an accountant and could beat any man at arm-wrestling.

He died so suddenly in the morning on 14 December 1983. It sure struck our family like a thunderbolt. As related by papi, grandpa was a strict father, who did not flinch from scolding naughty papi. It was grandpa's way of telling him that he cared. But during papi's youth, all he felt was nothing but resentment.

There is an ever-reminder of his presence in abuela’s place. His photo is hung high up the wall overlooking the dining table. This coming Thursday is grandpa's chinese anniversary, I already told abuela that my parents and myself are coming along to Bright Hill Temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails